We want to see young people come alive and thrive this lifetime. To excel beyond limitations and expectations. To actually love their life. With connectedness to self, others and the world around them.
To integrate the ‘Mindful Breathe Break’ into as many schools and systems as we collectively can around the world. A 3-minute break from technology, thinking and ‘go go go’ mode. Helping alleviate stress and anxiety, while building a daily habit of peace and calm.
Qualified Yoga Teacher
Certificate Sports Psychology
Bachelor of Health Science (Health Promotion)
Qualified Yoga Teacher
Kat & Bodhi
Founders of Breathe School. Inventors of the Mindful Breathe Break.
Known as a “breath of fresh air”. These two young leaders love to connect and empower each and every time they teach. What started as just an idea and a crowd-funding campaign, Breathe School, founded in 2015, now sees Kat & Bodhi helping the current state of schools and mental health of the nation. Kat and Bodhi have a certain openness that has seen them seamlessly in Catholic, Christian, private and public schools right across Australia and New Zealand. They are true inspiration for many people by the simple way they live their dreams and follow their passion. Beyond breathing, these two love surfing, partner acrobatics, music, dance and exploring the globe.
How We Got Started
We never know where to begin with this story. Is it when we first saw each other at our fave author’s mind-body mastery training, or when Kat attended Bodhi’s Art of Breath workshop and he noticed her ‘Breathe’ tattoo on her foot, or perhaps it was when on opposite sides of the world when Bodhi had the vision?
Bodhi: I had been sitting in meditation (Vipassana) battling my mind for 5 days straight, 10 hours each day. On the 5th day (of 10), I had dropped into a deep state of peace and surrender, when all of a sudden I was bombarded with bright visuals. I welcomed them in.
Seriously. I had never had anything like this happen before.
I was then shown how it was going to work, who was going to come on board and why it was Kat and I doing this together (trippy I know).
After the 10 days of meditation, I had the clearest feeling in my heart and mind about this thing called Breathe Project.
Then came the phone call.
I hadn’t yet told Kat…and she was an integral part of this mission. I was sure she would be in, but I was also terrified she wouldn’t be keen. I mean, we had only just met a few months prior.
Heart racing, breath held. I had to tell her. Ask her. Beg her. We hadn’t spoken in a month, as she was trekking in the Himalayan Mountains of India. I rambled, and basically tried to fit it all in before she got a word in. Then I waited, in silence. What she said next still blows me away today. “Oh that’s funny, I wrote something similar to that just a few days ago”.
It was on (and still is).
- December 3rd, we raised $14,400 via crowd-funding to launch, sold 80% of our belongings, moved out of our home into a camper-van and hit the road hopping from school to school.
- August 2nd, we had completed our first East Coast Tour with 61 schools from Hervey Bay to Melbourne. Nailing 2 x WIN News stories along the way and being featured in multiple newspapers and magazines.
- June 27th, we were gifted $25,000 from an angel investor, after working with 100 schools, to run a high level evaluation.
- October 3rd, two booked out school tours in Mackay and Cairns dedicated to suicide prevention.
- November 12th, we were flown out to work with Aboriginal communities in Western Australia.
- January 22nd, we hired our first ‘official’ employee (School Coordinator).
- March 2nd, we launched our Online School with a Primary School Video Series.
- March 14th, we booked out our first NZ School Tour.
- June 11th, the exciting news of Kat being pregnant.
- October 22nd, we launched our Online Academy for teachers and leaders.
- November 16th, Bodhi flew to California (US) to work with Flowstate Collective at GoGuardian who impact 6 million US kids daily with their technology.
- April 10th, after 4 months off with our new daughter, Taya, we flew to Christchurch to help bring more peace and calm among the schools, after the Mosque shootings.
- June 28th, teaching and learning at Bali retreat with our friends Sacred Earth Music.
- October 30th, Breathe School is launched, with Teacher Trainings, Online Academy.
Love to be more connected with us and get involved?
“Hello Kat and Bodhi. I really really enjoyed the two sessions of the Breathe Project that I attended today. I will definitely be using this method a lot. In fact, this afternoon I had a job interview. I'm usually super anxious before events like this but I used this method before and after the interview and I believe it improved my confidence substantially. Thank you so so much for bringing this to our school today and I look forward to seeing the impact you can make on the rest of the world.”
Year 12 Student, Cairns State High School, QLD, Australia
“I just wanted to let you know that the project is well established now; your recording is part of our Pastoral Group session delivered through PA system – that is 15 minutes long. The breathing part is right at the end of it – for 3 minutes – just before the students transition to another class. So, I am listening everyday to yours and Kat’s beautiful voice. It is going very well – students are engaged, even staff in the admin – receptionist, and accountants stop for that time and breathe. I hope you are travelling well, and enjoying your baby period. Thank you Bodhi. Kindest”
Guidance Counsellor, St Mary’s Catholic College, QLD, Australia
"I feel like all my emotions just got washed away and now I am calmer"
Redhead Public School, NSW, Australia
Thank you letter from our Founder
Bodhi Ashah Whitaker.
As we journey forward into new territory and approach the next stage of expansion, I would like to take a moment to honour all of the people that are with us already, walking beside us. I feel a deep appreciation for those who funded us to even begin (through crowd-funding), as without you we may have never been in one school. I want to thank all of the families that have welcomed us into their homes, cooked us a meal and got us into their school. I would like to embrace all of the kids, teenagers and teachers who have welcomed us into their school, right from the beginning. To all of the news reporters, magazine editors and podcast hosts, thank you and ‘shakas’. Lastly, all of those who have mentioned Breathe Project/School or Kat & Bodhi to their friends offline or online, shared our videos, posts, helping spread our message and work further. We honour you as we take the next leap and fly with trust.
Get in Touch
We are here and happy to help. Please connect with us below.